Metal braces have long been popular for straightening teeth and improving smiles. Their sturdy construction and effectiveness have stood the test of time. However, it is essential to consider the pros and cons of metal braces to determine if this is the right orthodontic treatment for you.
What Are The Advantages Of Metal Braces?
Metal braces offer several advantages that make them a popular choice for orthodontic treatment:
- Effectiveness: Metal braces are highly effective in correcting even severe cases of dental misalignment, including crowded or crooked teeth
- Affordability: Compared to other alternatives, metal braces are more affordable, making them a cost-effective option
- Durability: Metal brackets are known for their sturdiness and durability. They can withstand the pressure required to move teeth into their correct positions without breaking easily.
- Versatility: Metal braces address many orthodontic issues, including gaps between teeth, overcrowding, overbites, underbites, crossbites, and open bites
- Long history: Dentists and orthodontists have years of experience working with metal braces. Therefore, they are adept at monitoring treatment progress effectively.
What Are The Negatives Of Metal Braces?
While metal braces offer several advantages, there are also a few potential drawbacks to consider:
- Visibility: The most notable downside of metal braces is their visibility. Many people feel self-conscious about metal braces, especially in social or professional settings. However, there are clear braces and other options to address this concern.
- Discomfort: Initially, metal braces can cause discomfort or soreness as the teeth gradually shift into proper alignment
- Dietary restrictions: Certain hard, sticky, or crunchy foods should be avoided with traditional metal braces during orthodontic treatment as they could damage the brackets or wires. Invisalign(R) is a better option if you want a non-restricted diet.
- Maintenance: Metal braces require diligent maintenance and care. Special attention must be given to oral hygiene routines because food particles can easily get trapped within the brackets and wires, increasing the risk of plaque buildup and tooth decay if not cleaned properly.
- Longer treatment duration: Metal braces may require longer treatment than alternative options like invisible aligners. This is because metal braces rely on manual adjustments and gradual tooth movement, which can take longer to achieve the desired results.
It’s important to consult with an orthodontist or dentist to discuss your specific dental needs, preferences, and concerns before deciding on metal braces in Las Vegas or Reno or alternative orthodontic treatments.
What Are The Side Effects Of Metal Braces?
While metal braces are generally safe and effective, there can be some side effects associated with their use, including:
- Discomfort and soreness in the mouth, gums, and teeth after getting metal braces or following adjustments. This usually resolves within a few days.
- The brackets and wires of metal braces may irritate the soft tissues inside the mouth, leading to mouth ulcers or sores. Using orthodontic wax provided by your orthodontist can help alleviate this issue.
- Some individuals may experience increased tooth sensitivity during treatment with metal braces due to the pressure exerted on teeth as they shift positions. This sensitivity usually subsides once the treatment is complete.
- Difficulty eating certain foods and dietary restrictions to prevent damaging the wires and brackets on metal braces
Do Braces Change The Way You Talk?
Braces can potentially affect speech temporarily, but the impact varies from person to person. The initial adjustment period may cause minor changes in speech and pronunciation as the tongue, lips, and teeth adapt to the presence of braces.
However, most individuals quickly adapt and learn to speak clearly with braces. Any speech changes are typically temporary and diminish as the mouth becomes accustomed to the orthodontic appliance.
With this offer, there’s no excuse not to get back on track! Schedule a complete exam and x-rays for only $39 and ensure you have a beautiful healthy smile.
Clear Braces Vs. Metal Vs. Ceramic Braces
Deciding what braces are best requires considering clear braces vs. metal vs. ceramic braces. All are popular options for orthodontic treatment, but they have some key differences:
- Appearance: Clear braces and ceramic braces offer tooth-colored or colored brackets that blend in with the natural color of teeth. They are less noticeable compared to metal braces, which feature visible brackets and wires.
- Durability: Metal braces are typically more durable than clear and ceramic ones. Ceramic brackets may be prone to chipping or cracking under excessive pressure.
- Cost: Clear and ceramic braces are slightly more expensive than traditional metal braces
- Treatment time: It may take longer with clear and ceramic brackets because they exert less force on teeth
- Staining potential: While clear and tooth-colored materials have improved over time, slight staining or discoloration is still possible, especially if proper oral hygiene is not maintained. Metal braces are resistant to staining.
Affordable Metal Braces For Teeth In Vegas And Reno
Absolute Dental offers affordable Vegas and Reno metal braces that deliver excellent results. We also offer clear and ceramic braces, invisible aligners, and Invisalign(R). Our experienced orthodontists are here to help you achieve your dream smile without breaking the bank.
What Causes Crooked Teeth? (2023).
What to Know About Metal Braces? (2023).