Pediatric braces can be an effective solution for children who have orthodontic problems that require correction. At Absolute Dental, we take pride in helping children of all ages get set up with pediatric braces designed for their unique orthodontic needs.
We understand you might have questions and concerns about pediatric braces, including what they are, why your child might need them, and how to care for them. Our highly specialized team is here for you. Turn to one of the leading pediatric dentists in Carson City, Nevada, and learn more about the quality pediatric Carson City dental care your child deserves.
As one of the leading Carson City orthodontics in the Las Vegas area, the team at Absolute Dental Is committed to helping you and your child feel confident in the pediatric braces you select for your child and how to maintain them for the best smile possible.
What are pediatric braces?
As with your traditional adult braces, pediatric braces are a treatment method for children who suffer from a misalignment of their teeth or jaw. These misalignments can occur because of genetics or because of lifestyle factors such as thumb sucking. Typically, pediatric braces are designed to correct overbites, underbites, open bites, overcrowding and spacing issues, and issues associated with their chewing or speech.
At Absolute Dental, our experienced orthodontist will examine your child’s orthodontic needs and determine the best approach as well as what type of pediatric braces would be the most appropriate.
Why do kids need braces?
Children can experience a wide range of orthodontic-related dental health issues. A majority of these issues are genetic meaning they are not brought on because of environmental or lifestyle factors. Correcting these dental issues with pediatric braces not only improves your child’s overall jaw and tooth function, but it can also significantly improve your child’s confidence. Braces offer both a practical solution to dental health issues, but also a cosmetic solution for children who struggle with their smiles. As one of the most common dental treatments for teens, an estimated 3.5 million children and teens are outfitted with pediatric braces every year.
What are the different types of pediatric braces?
When you work with a pediatric orthodontist in Carson City, your child will have a thorough examination of their jaw and teeth structure in order to determine what the best treatment is for them. During the initial course of your child’s examination, your child’s orthodontist will also be able to determine the appropriate type of braces best suited for them as well. The types of pediatric braces available for children include the following:
- Traditional metal braces – Traditional metal braces are one of the most common types of braces because of their practicality, affordability, and in some cases “style-ability.” These types of braces consist of metal brackets that are placed directly onto the front of the tooth. The brackets are secured with a wired thread that goes through them.Meanwhile, metal bands help keep the braces together. Your child will not need to remove the braces once they are fixed, but they do have to take care in avoiding certain foods that could damage the braces. Often, children will also have the option of choosing different colors for their metal brackets which allows them to
personalize their braces. At Absolute Dental, we are proud to offer a range of metal braces in Carson City. Contact us today to learn more.
- Mini traditional metal braces – These mini wire braces are very much like traditional wire braces with the difference being that the brackets are much smaller. For some children, opting for a smaller set is more aesthetically appealing. Mini braces still offer the same functionality and care requirements as traditional braces.
- Lingual braces – For some children, getting braces might seem like an overwhelming and daunting task, simply because they are so noticeable. This is where lingual braces can come in handy. These types of braces are outfitted on the inside of the teeth so that they are not as noticeable as traditional wire braces. Additionally, they are a bit easier to take care of and maintain than traditional braces.
- Invisalign – Invisalign braces are incredibly popular simply because of their inconspicuous nature. Instead of wires and brackets, Invisalign utilizes plastic tray aligners and helps to move crooked teeth into their needed position. These aligners are also removable but need to be replaced and carefully maintained in order to correct orthodontic issues. You can shop Invisalign and other clear braces in Carson City at Absolute Dental.
How to care for pediatric braces
Whichever pediatric braces you, your child, and their orthodontist settle on, you should expect to have a detailed and clear care plan in place. Different types of braces call for different types of care. Knowing how to maintain your specific braces is important so that you can be sure that they last as long as they should and will correct the issues they are intended to correct.
In all cases, your child should still practice daily good oral health habits including brushing and flossing their teeth. No matter the type of braces your child gets, it is important that they steer clear of the following activities:
- Drinking sugary drinks or carbonated beverages
- Eating sticky or hard candy
- Playing a wind instrument that could adjust how your jaw and teeth respond to the braces
- Failing to report issues they experience with their braces