Porcelain Veneers in Reno
What is a Porcelain Veneer?
Porcelain veneers are thin pieces of durable porcelain that are designed to permanently fit over the surface of a tooth. The purpose of a porcelain veneer is to strengthen and improve the aesthetic appearance of broken, damaged or imperfect teeth.
What is the Process of Applying a Porcelain Veneer?
Your dentist will start by removing a very thin layer of the tooth’s enamel where the veneer will be placed. Depending on the shape and size of your natural tooth, your dentist may need to do some reshaping so the veneer will fit more easily and effectively. An imprint and measurements are then taken to ensure the porcelain veneer is custom fitted to adhere perfectly to that tooth.
Because the permanent veneer will not be ready immediately, a temporary veneer is fitted over the tooth until the permanent one can be placed. Newer technologies and advancements in bonding materials allow veneers to be applied directly to the surface of the tooth.
The time it takes to complete the procedure really depends on several factors, including how many porcelain veneers are being placed and how long it takes to finalize the permanent veneer. Typically the process is completed in two visits to your Reno dentist – one to take a mold of the tooth and place the temporary veneer, and another to place the permanent veneer.
When are Porcelain Veneers Needed?
Veneers provide solutions for patients with several different dental issues. You may want to consider porcelain veneers as an option if you:
- Have discoloration on the surface of your teeth and traditional whitening treatments have not been successful.
- Have fractured or chipped teeth.
- Have obvious gaps between teeth.
- Are unhappy with the shape or size of natural teeth.
- Need an alternative fix to misaligned teeth.
What are the Benefits of Porcelain Veneers?
Veneers offer several advantages for a variety of patients, both cosmetic and practical. Some of these benefits include:
- Quick correction of imperfections – Some patients are unable or unwilling to wear braces for a lengthy period of time to correct misalignments. Veneers are a popular option in these cases because of how quickly they can adhere to the surface of the teeth, providing an almost immediate cosmetic fix.
- More natural appearance – Porcelain veneers imitate natural tooth enamel by allowing light to pass through the porcelain to the inside of the tooth. This creates a very natural appearance and texture. Porcelain is also more resistant to staining and will maintain your bright, white smile.
- Durable material – Porcelain is resilient and not easily damaged by everyday wear and tear. Because of this, veneers do not have to be replaced often and provide long-lasting performance that is almost identical to natural teeth.
- Better oral hygiene – Due to the strength and endurance of porcelain, cracks or scratches to the surface of the veneer are much less likely than with natural tooth enamel. This makes it difficult for bacteria to grow or for plaque to build up on veneers.
- No special care required – With porcelain veneers, you can continue your normal oral hygiene routine of brushing and flossing without having to purchase special materials or equipment.
What are the Risks Associated with Porcelain Veneers?
Although there are many benefits associated with porcelain veneers, it’s important for patients to understand any risks or downsides of the procedure that could affect them. Because a thin layer of the tooth’s enamel is removed before a veneer is placed, this is not considered to be a reversible procedure. Veneers can be replaced or adjusted, but the natural tooth enamel cannot grow back.
Also, sensitivity to hot or cold temperatures can temporarily develop and increase because of the enamel removal. This will typically go away with time, but it can be bothersome for patients who already experience sensitivity to temperature prior to placing the veneer. However, the more time that passes, the veneer can potentially reduce sensitivity by providing a durable layer of protection over the tooth.
Considering Porcelain Veneers?
Porcelain veneers are a great option for patients hoping for a fantastic smile without the extensive work that comes with dental crowns and braces. Not only do veneers offer exceptional resilience and a more natural appearance, they can improve oral hygiene and dental functionality. The Reno team at Absolute Dental are able to help you decide whether or not porcelain veneers are the best option for you.
If you are considering porcelain veneers to correct your dental issues, reach out to our Reno offices to schedule a consultation. We’re happy to conduct a full exam and evaluation, so you’ll know which approach will be most beneficial. Our Reno dentists are here to give reliable, professional opinions and full explanations of every procedure. Call us today to get the smile you’ve always dreamed of!