Taking care of teeth is very important for children’s overall health, and setting up good habits starts young. Teaching kids these helpful cleaning routines will set them up for a lifetime of strong and healthy teeth. Here are some essential practices for children’s dental health to prevent decay and keep their teeth in good shape.
Looking for a pediatric dental office? Absolute Dental can help get your child started with healthy habits. Make an appointment today!
What Are Tips for the Best Oral Health in Children?
You’ve probably heard many of these tips from your dentist about your own oral health, but it’s no less important for kids to follow.
1. Brush Teeth Twice a Day
Regular brushing is essential for everyone, even the little ones in our lives. Make sure they brush their teeth twice a day to ensure the removal of harmful bacteria. Allowing bacteria to remain on the tooth can cause buildup, eventually leading to tooth and enamel decay or gum issues.
2. Replace Toothbrush Regularly
A child’s toothbrush should be replaced at least once every three months. After regular use, the bristles get worn down, and the toothbrush becomes less effective at cleaning teeth. If your child has been sick, it’s a good idea to replace it at that time to prevent re-infection.
3. Floss Once a Day
There is no other way to remove food, debris, and plaque between the teeth or other areas where the toothbrush can’t reach. Regular flossing is essential in reducing the likelihood of cavities.
4. Get Regular Cleanings
Children should be taken to a dental clinic for regular checkups and cleanings twice a year. Routine appointments can begin around 12 months of age or within six months of the first tooth coming in. Starting early helps children get comfortable with the dentist. Any outstanding issues can be identified early to prevent more significant problems down the road.
5. Follow a Healthy Diet
Following a healthy diet is just as crucial for good oral health as brushing and flossing. Vegetables, dairy, and nuts all help keep teeth healthy and strong. Help your kids avoid sugar, carbs, and other foods that can cause enamel to deteriorate.
Keep your child’s teeth strong and healthy with regular visits to the dentist. Contact Absolute Dental today for an appointment.
What Is Considered Part of a Tooth Healthy Diet?
What children eat affects every part of their health, including tooth health. Here are some excellent foods to include as a regular part of a tooth-healthy diet.
- Eggs – The phosphates and vitamin D in eggs help improve oral health.
- Dairy Products – Cheese, yogurt, and milk are filled with calcium and vitamin D, which help strengthen and protect the teeth.
- Green Leafy Vegetables – Broccoli, spinach, and kale are examples of leafy veggies with vitamins and minerals that protect the enamel.
- Nuts and Seeds – The mouth tends to accumulate acid, which can eat away at the enamel. Nuts and seeds can help replenish nutrients in the enamel.
At What Age Should Kids Start Brushing and Flossing Their Teeth?
- Brushing – You can start brushing your child’s teeth¹ as soon as the first one erupts. Keep in mind that most children cannot brush their teeth on their own until they are between the ages of six and eight. At that time, children need to brush their teeth twice a day.
- Flossing – Flossing can begin once children’s teeth start to fit closely together, usually between the ages of 2 and 6. Children need to floss their teeth once a day. The best time to floss teeth is right before bedtime.
Can Fluoride Help Prevent Cavities in Children’s Teeth?
Fluoride can help children’s teeth² stay strong and healthy by strengthening the enamel and preventing cavies. Here are some ways fluoride can be added to your child’s teeth:
- Fluoridated water
- Fluoride toothpaste
- Fluoride varnish
- Fluoride drops or prescription tablets
Always check with your pediatric dentist for recommendations regarding fluoride treatments for your child.
How Do I Find Kid’s Dental Care Near Me?
Preventative services at your local dentist’s office are always the first step to healthy teeth. Staying on top of cleanings and dental sealants can help keep teeth in good shape. In addition to following simple steps at home, getting in regular dental visits is ideal for optimal tooth health.
Parents often wonder, “Is there a children’s dentist near me?” If you’re looking for a pediatric dentist that can help lay a strong foundation for healthy teeth, make an appointment with Absolute Dental Today. Our caring professionals can help make your child’s dentist’s office experience a positive one that lays a strong foundation for good oral health.